Tuesday, March 13, 2012

See: Savannah

I know it might seem that I'm a day late and a dollar short on this one but I thought it would be fun to remember one of my favorite 2011 memories and talk about my family trip to Savannah, GA. I have long been a fan of the Southeastern United States without actually having been there so getting a reason to visit Taylor and explore an amazing city on my "list" was basically a dream trip. Something about the historical homes, southern drawl and fried food made me feel right at home.

We spent our first day on foot and quickly realized (after sweating through our respective outfits) that we needed to change things up a bit. A family Segway adventure was top of the list until a cute little storefront appeared like magic and we were all (read: Steve) spared --> enter the Perry Rubber Bike Shop. We spent the next three days buzzing around town as if we owned the place. I may or may not have cheated death a time or two as my tires skidded out of harm's way but it was so worth it. I think the best part of a vacation is doing things out of your normal routine and touring a city via bike just happened to be one of those. Please be sure to hit up the Perry Rubber Bike Shop if you ever get the chance to visit, they'll treat you right.

Some of the "must see" activities for any Savannah visitor are touring the historical homes, walking through the Spanish moss-lined parks and shopping the local boutiques. One of my favorite sights included Forsyth Park and its lovely white fountain. It was so big and pretty, a real must-see. We also cooled off with a tour through Andrew Low's amazing home and shopped at The Paris Market where I scored the most precious teacup and saucer keepsake, which of course is an essential :). I would also recommend stopping in Red Clover and shopSCAD for a plethora of creative goodies.

(As you can see, this was my kind of trip.)

Anyway, it only made sense that after long days of biking we were free to indulge on amazing pizza (twice!), lunch (& dinner!) at The Olde Pink House, ice cream at Leopold's and cupcakes at Back In The Day Bakery - all of which I would highly recommend. The most notable absence from the list is Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons restaurant which we weren't able to try but have heard wonderful things. Either way, you won't be disappointed and you will definitely not go hungry.


Sweet Savannah, you were good to me! I can hardly wait to get back and visit your wonderful City. Until then, Southern dreamin' in the Big D...

No comments:

Post a Comment