Sunday, November 9, 2008

Farewell Friend

For those of you that don't know, my friend Robbie has been in New York for the past 6 months. Posing under the cover of "here for business," what he was really meant was "here for the party." From the second he wheeled off of the plane in June we have had a whirlwind of fun. Some of it I have shared with you other things are better left unsaid, but one thing is for sure, we have never tired of a good time. Some of you might know Robbie as the lovable OU homecoming king, but I have had the pleasure of knowing Robbie as one of the greatest friends you can ask for. There is absolutely nothing that Robbie wouldn't do for his family and friends and at times when I feel like I have asked him to go to the moon and back, he answers with such loyalty that you realize he's one of kind.

He quickly became a staple at my office and all the girls would ask, "so is Robbie coming for lunch today?" I swear...he can make friends with anyone. Whether it was the chocolate high heels that lured him or the conversations about celebrities and finances (according to girls) we'll never know...but he sure did love him some gossip. In fact, one of my favorite memories of Robbie came one night when he decided that he was going to write a screenplay and he decided who he would cast to play each and every one of us. To this day, when something outrageous happens he loves to say, "ohh that will be great in the movie." I firsthand witnessed Robbie come to the City and take full advantage of all that it would have to offer him, both professionally and personally. I would like to think that NYC saved Ol Rob in really great ways and I'm excited to see what all it brings for him in Dallas. To our friends in Texas, I thought I'd supply you with a few Robbisms that will aid in your time together:

- if you're ever in need of a subject line for an email to Robbie, the go-to is always "Why so serious?"
- a honey pot will always cheer him up
- in the event of, "One Word Robbie" just let him ride it out, he always comes back
- soup/salad/breadsticks @ Olive Garden for a nice therapy session
- find a roof in Dallas, it solves everything
- if in doubt, play "Disturbia"
- Need a concert/play/show buddy? Robbie's your guy.
- his favorite adjective is always "tiny"
- he loves a good one-day sale at Macy's

For Rob's last weekend, we decided to have an old fashioned tourist night complete with the Christmas Spectacular show at Radio City Music Hall followed by a memorable 2 hour dinner at Olive Garden at Times Square. The company was perfect, the mood was light, and our memories were set. It only confirmed what I've known for a long time, that NY just won't be the same without our friend.

In all seriousness, I hope that each and every one of you get the chance to meet Robbie. I can guarantee that upon introduction you will meet a guy that makes you feel welcome and loved. My prayer for Robbie is that he will continue becoming the man that he wants to be, all the while being the fun guy that we all know and love. I predict nothing short of greatness.

Miss you, friend!









See once in a while when it's good
It'll feel like it should
And they're all still around
And you're still safe and sound
And you don't miss a thing
'til you cry when you're driving away in the dark.

Singing stop this train I want to get off and go home again
I can't take this speed it's moving in
I know I can't
Cause now I see I'll never stop this train
~John Mayer "Stop This Train"

3 comments:

  1. this is so great.

    i can't/can believe that y'all took him to olive garden his last weekend in the city. priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If in doubt, play 'Disturbia'" LOVE it! XOXO Robbie

    ReplyDelete