Thursday, March 18, 2010

Search History

There is this common theme among my friends that in the event that we find ourselves "stumped" on a particular subject we always refer to Google. I realize that this isn't an uncommon practice, it has become a verb, after all.

Friend 1: "Hey, what's the name of that 90s actor that had a brief stint on Charles in Charge?"
Friend 2: "I dunno, Google it."

Whether I'm at work or on the go there is always something to be looked up. Side note: what on earth did we do before the advent of the iPhone? No, really - what.did.we.do? Because I can't remember life without it. I know that sounds ridiculous and elitist, but it's true. If I need to sound even remotely intelligent in a conversation that I know nothing about the chances are I will likely pause, look it up on the fly, and then spout it off as common knowledge - does anyone else do this? That's rhetorical, because I know you all do.

Anyway, I happen to think that it's entertaining to keep my recent searches on my phone for awhile. If nothing else, it takes you to that random place you can't believe you went on a Friday night. For instance, the other day I went to pull up directions and came across eight different pages worth of information that had been looked up on a various night out. You know those nights when you're just sitting around, shooting the bull and the conversation ends up going there? And by there, I mean the weirdest place possible. For example:
  • joy and pain, sunshine and rain lyrics - Yep, it's that song. You know the one. Early 90s, bad rap - pure gold. It was on at a bar the other night and we just had to look it up. A real gem.
  • Jim Bob Duggar - there is an uncanny resemblance of old Jim Bob and a friend of ours. Uncanny.
  • Ginnifer Goodwin - this was during the doppelganger week. A. Vest was being compared.
  • garth brooks as chris gaines - When trying to explain the brief time in Garth's career when he went AWOL in a big, big way.
  • what happened to billy gillespie - What? We were just wondering.
  • pink's feet - Yes, we were talking about the entertainer. That's right, the woman - Alecia Moore. Apparently her feet look like pig hooves.
That's all I have for now. I hope that these gave you a good laugh or at the very least a good, "huh?!"

I think my work here is done.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this, krog.
    here are some of my google searches for your enjoyment:
    edie sedgwick: i was watching "shear genius" on bravo and wanted to really know if this girl's hair was really channeling edie's. it wasn't.
    camila alves: girlfriend of matthew mcconaughey and host of bravo's "shear genius". i couldn't find any info on her being a former hair stylist. so why is she hosting this show??
    marfa, tx: duh
    marc jacobs: looking for these new sandals my friend daisy just got.
    cupertino: the default town that is on all iphones for weather and time. it's in california! i assumed italy...no idea why.

    love the pink/pig hooves comparison. i plan to google it now.
    fun game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very fond memories of each of these google searches...

    ReplyDelete