Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Reason for God

This past weekend I stumbled upon an article by Dr. Tim Keller of Redeemer Presbyterian Church here in NYC. Dr. Keller is one of the foremost theologians of our day and a highly influential presence in the Christian makeup of New York City. Dr. Keller and his wife came to New York City in the late 80's to plant a church in what was said to be, "a Godless environment." Many opposed the idea of starting a church in a City that attracted commuters and singles alike, both of which, have not been known to be pillars of the church. He pressed on in spite of this and developed a church community that has now flourished to over four thousand members. I say this as someone who not only fits in the above demographic, but as someone who has been affected by the presence of Dr. Keller and his church.

Something about the way Dr. Keller presents the Gospel just makes sense to me. I can read it and actually get it. I think that so much of what he preaches is relevant because of his focus on Christ in an urban environment. So this past weekend I came upon this article that he had written titled, "The Importance of Hell," that admittedly didn't interest me. Afterall, I have spent years in the church talking around the concept of Hell (how to avoid it, what saves you from it, etc.). However, this article discusses why it was not only important, but imperative to address it. Dr. Keller brings up four points and then goes on to expand on each of them. As I read, I couldn't help but think that this is so vital to the Christian perspective; a true knowledge of what Hell is (a complete separation from God) but also, what is meant for Christ to endure it on the cross. I can't even begin to scratch the surface of the entire article so here is the link if you'd like to read it in your free time. I fully intend to pour over it a little bit more and reference it when I feel like I'm pulling away.

Also, Dr. Keller's new book The Reason For God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism comes out this weekend (available for pre-order on Amazon) if you're interested. I am sure that it will be just as insightful and would love to hear from you if decide to read it.


"Keller mines material from literary classics, philosophy, anthropology, and a multitude of other disciplines to make an intellectually compelling case for God." - Publishers Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment